Design Engineers are ultimately responsible for the research, development and design of product according to project requirements. The Design Engineer develops submittals, layouts, schematics and shop details as part of a design team in accordance with project specifications and site conditions. The position requires knowledge of the Sales, Project Management, Engineering and Production Process along with a thorough understanding of the Engineering discipline and principles of both the manufacturing and construction processes with the ability to work on multiple tasks concurrently. Design Engineers must possess a strong understanding of Materials, Building Codes and Engineering Principles.
- Provide conceptual design drawings and value engineering solutions to projects in the developmental design phase to assist the sales team in providing accurate and competitive pricing.
- Thoroughly review project specifications and scope, placing emphasis on design requirements.
- Conduct and review various calculations such as strength, weights, forces and stresses for material and component selection under the supervision of a Professional Engineer.
- As part of a Project Team, prepare submittal drawings for customer approval based upon project specifications, scope and engineering requirements.
- Coordinate with project team to determine potential value engineering opportunities for the project.
- Work in conjunction with the project strategy and schedule set forth by the Project Manager.
- Prepare measuring templates, acquire field dimensions and construct as-built 3D models and layouts to ensure design feasibility and accuracy.
- With the use of Autodesk Inventor and AutoCAD software, prepare accurate assembly and part drawings to assure proper fabrication and installation of product.
- Prepare bills of materials and project routers to the Process Engineer and Production Manager.
- Assist the Project Manager with quality control measures throughout fabrication and installation phases of the project.
- Assist the Project Manager in the completion of all specified closeout documents required by the customer including final ‘as-built’ drawings.
- Perform project review with thorough synopsis of project and opportunities for improved performance on future projects.
- Provide material take-offs and estimates and assist in project forecasting.
- Assist the Project Manager with change orders, project schedules and project evaluation.
- Integrate educational and professional experience to optimize project efficiencies.
- Assist as required in the Research and Development of new and improved TCP product offering.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent is required.
- 1-5 years of related experience. Manufacturing and construction experience preferred.
- Proficiency with AutoCAD and Autodesk Inventor or comparable program is required.
- Knowledge of engineering analysis to select appropriate member sizing.
- Ability to read and interpret fabrication drawings.
- Ability to maintain a high degree of integrity, loyalty and honesty; not divulge to outside parties’ information of a confidential nature pertaining to the company’s operations or bids.
- Ability to carry out the duties described in the job description in an efficient manner.